Job ID 119796
Experience 3 Years
Degree Bachelor Degree
Province or State Kabul
Vacancy Number 829845
Aviation Officer Job at WFP – World Food Programme in Kabul:
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
The hunger crisis in Afghanistan is unfolding at a rapidly, with over half the country’s population of 40 million now facing acute food insecurity—the highest number the humanitarian community has ever seen in Afghanistan. Work opportunities are shrinking, with most households now reporting just one day of work per week. This comes on top of the worst drought in years, which is especially concerning for the 85 percent of the population who rely on agriculture for livelihoods.
Preventing and mitigating a drastic increase in hunger and malnutrition is the aim of WFP in Afghanistan which can only be achieved through the scaled up and sustained complementary food security and nutrition interventions, combined with a scale-up of resilience interventions to safeguard gains. WFP has embarked on a significant month on month scale-up of its crisis response and resilience programmes across the country, ensuring that the programme is delivered at the right scale and time, targeted to the right areas. WFP is also actively following up on evolving trends to pre-empt hotspots, while guaranteeing quality and maximum impact of the programme through the monitoring of these hotspots to be able to support continued donor advocacy.
JOB PURPOSE Aviation Officer Job at WFP – World Food Programme in Kabul:
Contribute to daily planning and coordination of global aviation initiatives or day-to-day aviation operations to ensure that operations and objectives are achieved safely, at optimum value and in full.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute to the planning and coordination or activities relating to the safe execution of aviation operations in accordance with WFP and UN AVSTADS (Aviation Standards).
- Support or manage aviation projects or operational activities applying standard processes, including the appropriate operational risk management processes, to contribute to effective humanitarian air transportation.
- Provide technical advice to country office to ensure safe aviation operations are incorporated into local program planning and transport arrangements.
- Collect and analyze a wide range of data from diverse sources through research and networking with colleagues to formulate and recommend actions to senior staff to improve performance of aviation activities and operations.
- Participate in the on-going review of internal processes and procedures and identify ways to increase the day-to-day efficiencies.
- Support regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff to optimize use of available funds.
- Guide and supervise a limited number of junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, supporting a WFP-wide view of aviation activities that enables informed decision making and detailed reporting to donor representatives.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners to safe aviation operations e.g. through the design and review of training materials.
- Identify and build productive relationships with WFP colleagues and staff within the unit or area of assignment to align activities and enable a coordinated and coherent approach to humanitarian air transportation.
- Follow emergency aviation preparedness practices to ensure WFP are able to quickly provide passenger services, relief supplies and emergency medical and security evacuations at the onset of a crisis.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet the required provision of service to the humanitarian community as needed.
- Ensures that an adequate and efficient safety organization is maintained throughout the designated Area of Operation.
- Establishes and maintains an effective and efficient flight operations management system for flight following and search and rescue.
- Liaise and advises the appropriate authorities on all safety matters and recommends remedial measures to counter actual or potential causes of aviation accidents/incidents.
- Monitors all techniques and aircraft types for potential safety hazards.
- Monitors action taken on all aircraft accidents/incidents and provides specialist knowledge inquiries when required.
- Records and provides statistical analysis of aircraft accidents/incidents; and Propagates safety publicity, education, and dissemination of information.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Aviation Officer Job at WFP – World Food Programme in Kabul:
- Advanced University degree in Aeronautics, Aviation Engineering, Airport Management or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of relevant work experience and/or training/courses. Holds or has held a Commercial Pilot License, Air Traffic Control License or Flight Operations Officer License (or equivalent), Aeronautical Engineer or Maintenance Engineer License.
- At least three (3) years of postgraduate professional experience in a similar field.
- Experience in technical aircraft, flight operations, or air traffic management sectors.
- Experience using aviation safety information systems to compile data and perform analyses on potential aviation risks.
- Experience identifying Aviation Security threats.
- Working knowledge in written and oral English is required. Fluency in Dari or Pashtu is required
HOW TO APPLY for Aviation Officer Job at WFP – World Food Programme in Kabul:
To be considered, interested candidates are invited to apply via (https://www.wfp.org/careers/job-openings). Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We want to ensure the recruitment process is fully accessible. Please contact us at email@example.com to advise us of any accessibility needs you may have.
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.