Job ID 121039
Experience 5 Years
Degree Bachelor Degree
Opportunity Type Jobs
Province or State Kabul
Language Requirement Dari and Pashto
Duration 12 Months (Extension Possibility)
Vacancy Number SFCG-KBL-2023-7
About Search for Common Ground:
Search is an international non-profit organization that promotes the peaceful resolution of conflicts. With headquarters in Washington, DC, and Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict away from destructive approaches toward cooperative solutions. With more than 900 staff worldwide, Search implements projects in more than 37 countries across the world.
Purpose of the Position:
The Design, Monitoring, and Evaluation (DM&E) Manager will implement a comprehensive monitoring, evaluation, Research, and Learning system to oversee the successful implementation of Search for Common Ground’s programs across Afghanistan and establish systems to measure program progress and impact. S/he will liaise daily with different project managers/coordinators to meet their specific DM&E and research needs. The DME Manager will be primarily responsible for coordinating the research, design, monitoring and evaluation, and organizational learning efforts of Search’s projects in Afghanistan.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Provide strategic leadership roles in ensuring high quality and standards in monitoring, evaluation, research, and learning.
- Contribute as part of the leadership group in program quality and program effectiveness.
- Contribute to program development such as the development of the Theory of Change, Project logic, and M&E narrative and budgeting in the proposal development process. Liaise with the Regional Business Development Team and ILT for the finalization of M&E Components in the proposal.
- Actively contribute to project kick-off meetings and share M&E and research compliance with the project team and implementing partners.
- Lead the process of developing a comprehensive MEL plan or any other revisions on log frame indicators and
- Implement project logic frameworks, indicators, targets, data collection tools, and M&E plans in collaboration with ILT and in consultation with the donor M&E focal point.
- Provide timely, quality support and coaching to the different project coordinators and provincial focal points to meet their specific DM&E needs
- Ensure the system captures outcome/output indicators, and means of verification and develop case studies
- Ensure DM&E plans are integrated into project work plans with clear roles and responsibilities and deadlines
- Lead/coordinate/manage baseline studies, assessments, conflict snapshots, and needs assessments and listenership/viewership survey
- Review all MERL-related reports and provide feedback to consultants and the program team.
- Coordinate and manage external evaluation contracts and teams;
- Lead or facilitate mid-term review. Organize bi-annual reflection meetings of all Search Afghanistan projects using Enduring Change Toolkits and other standards. Prepare Outcome Reflection logs (ORLs) and ensure ORLs and data are uploaded in the GMS.
- Provide regular feedback and lessons learned to the project team to improve their implementation.
- Maintain a database in google drive as well as GMS to ensure all program outputs and results are accurately recorded and coordinated to inform program staff;
- Assist Project Coordinators/Managers in providing monthly and quarterly reports on all activities, outputs, and relevant outcome indicators to the Country Director, ILT, and donors;
- Participate in and contribute towards internal evaluation processes;
- Work with Program teams to provide support and guidance to the different projects in the development and implementation of their M&E work plans;
- Coordinate with the finance team to ensure all M&E budgets are efficiently managed and quality consultants are recruited.
- Provide capacity building and support to staff and partners in capturing results and M&E;
- Coordinate with ILT in implementing the Peace Impact Framework (PIF) in all Search Afghanistan Projects. Ensure data is collected for relevant PIF indicators for each project.
- Represent Search Afghanistan in external events and showcase results and achievements. Participate in donor meetings as required.
- Build relationships with implementing partners, and help build their technical capacity and ownership of the programming.
- Popularize the Search Central and South Asia Conflict Geography Strategy and MEL plan for sub-strategy and ensure collection of data for indicators relevant to Afghanistan.
- Develop organizational learning culture within Search Afghanistan offices and beyond.
- Actively contribute to complying with the Evidence and Learning Protocols execution and assessment organized by ILT and develop bi-annual action plans and their execution.
- Any other tasks and responsibilities as advised by the Country Director and ILT, as needed.
Program Quality and Learning
- Lead reviews of log frames and indicators with project teams
- Analyses both qualitative and quantitative data, and ensures data is presented in clear, coherent, presentations/reports
- Contribute to identifying and synthesizing good practices and lessons learned.
- Meet regularly with Search Afghanistan staff to review the progress of projects against project objectives, indicators, and deliverables, and give meaningful input and recommendations into the project management and institutional learning
- Be directly engaged in the continuing development of the organization, its mission, and its staff, through the sharing of experience and knowledge and supporting research and learning initiatives
- Keep abreast of and navigate the conflict dynamics in Afghanistan and target locations
- Travel to program target areas in the field as needed to oversee and support DM&E initiatives
- Remain alert and responsive to any child safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills that will enable you to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child safeguarding policy and procedures, and conduct yourself in a manner consistent with the Child Safeguarding Policy.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Skills & Competencies:
- Minimum of five (5 years of DM&E work experience in a civil society or NGO setting
- At least one (1) year of field-based data collection and analysis experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related area is required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Knowledge of logical framework and results framework planning and evaluation methodologies, and the ability to coach and train others in their use
- Possesses program and people management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills, as well as the ability to conduct professional relationships
- Strong commitment to values in data-based decision-making, transparency, community empowerment, methodological rigor, and program learning
- High standards of integrity, professionalism, and impartiality
- Able to work independently and effectively in a team environment
- Detail-oriented and highly organized, with a proactive approach
- Ability to multi-task and work to meet tight deadlines
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, as well as web browsers
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively in Dari/Pashto and English, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to travel within and outside of Afghanistan
- Demonstrated technical capacity to provide support and guidance to project staff on DM&E
- Demonstrated technical capacity in the design, implementation, and analysis of various data collection tools including interviews, surveys, focus group discussions, and pre/post tests.
- Demonstrated capacity to coordinate evaluations, including experience developing evaluation terms of reference and recruiting and managing consultants
- Experience working internationally and specifically in conflict/fragile state environments
- Knowledge of data analysis software (e.g. SAS, SPSS);
- Ability to communicate in both the national languages, Dari and Pashto
- Working with People: The ability to respect the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy, listen, and support; consult others and share information and expertise, builds team spirit and adapt to the team.
- Flexibility: The ability to adapt to changing circumstances and priorities, tolerate ambiguity, to adapt personal style to different people and situations.
- Drive for Results and Efficiency: The ability to set quality standards, monitor, and maintain quality of work, and set goals to achieve continuous improvement.
- Relationship Management: The ability to manage interactions, provide service, and support the organization while building an effective internal and external network.
- Consultation (for managers and up): The ability to provide guidance to organizational stakeholders while applying creative problem-solving to address business needs.
- Leadership and Navigation: The ability to manage and contribute to initiatives and processes within the organization while making progress toward change and continuous improvement.
- Communication: The ability to effectively exchange information with others, effectively deliver critical information, to gather information, and communicate with others.
- Global and Cultural Effectiveness: The ability to value and consider the perspectives and backgrounds of all parties and be able to work cross-culturally.
- Ethical Practice: The ability to integrate Search’s vision, mission, core values, integrity, and accountability throughout all organizational and business practices.
- Critical Evaluation (for managers and up): The ability to interpret information to make business decisions and recommendations based on keen analysis, best practices, and an understanding of preferred outcomes.
- Business Acumen: The ability to understand and apply information to contribute to the organization’s strategic plan.
- Developing others (for people managers): The ability to provide support to enhance performance and professional growth.
- Commitment to Search Values and Safeguarding Policy: All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Collaboration- Audacity – Tenacity – Empathy – Results. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest, and Anti-fraud. Search is committed to safeguarding the interests, rights, and well-being of children, youth, and vulnerable adults with whom it is in contact and to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for children, youth, and vulnerable adults.