Job ID 118298
Degree High School Diploma
Province or State Kabul
Vacancy Number VA/2023/B5101/26681
- Ensure compliance with the Project’s Environmental and Social instruments, including the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) in all field level implementation.
- Prepare E&S training materials and conduct training for all implementers.
- Regularly follow up of ESS related data entry in the MIS database and make sure that the data is accurate and entered correctly.
- Assist in the collection of environmental data and provide technical assistance in the preparation of site-specific mitigation measures. Regularly meet with FP engineers regarding subproject ESS related issues, grievances and capacity building requests.
- Conduct environmental safeguards Monitoring of projects based on agreed mitigation measures and prepare detailed monitoring reports
- Ensure that the site-specific mitigation measures are prepared based on the E&S screening and field observations considering the Project ESMP
- Respond to Third Party Monitoring Agents’ reports (via the HQ Unit) on ESS related issues.
- Conduct monitoring and supervision visits and report on findings on a small randomly selected set of project sites to ensure they are environmentally sound and secure from a functional safety perspective.
- Receive and review regular E&S reports from all implementers.
- Help to prepare regular E&S reports for submission to the World Bank.
Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Environmental Safeguards Senior Associate directly impacts on the development and performance of the project. It confirms UNOPS’ role as a key and trusted partner to the World Bank, and UNOPS’ position as a critical service provider, in all challenging work environments. Given the current political and humanitarian situation in Afghanistan, this project would support the urgent repositioning of AFCO and strengthen UNOPS presence and visibility in Afghanistan, raising the profile of UNOPS in the global humanitarian context.
Monitoring and progress controls will be in accordance with work plans that the Supervisor and incumbent will prepare at the beginning of the assignment.
- Secondary education is required.
- A first-level university degree (e.g. Bachelor) in Environmental Studies or other relevant discipline or an advanced university degree (e.g. Masters) is preferred.
b. Work Experience
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in environmental safeguards compliance is required.
- Experience with the World Bank Environmental and Social Framework (ESF)
- Experience with E&S safeguards management systems is a must.
- Experience in Occupational Health & Safety issues a must
- Fluency in English is required.
- Fluency in Pashto and/or Dari is desirable.