Job ID 120779
Experience 3 Years
Degree Bachelor Degree
Province or State Kabul
Duration 1 year
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST:
The Finance and Administrative Assistant reports directly to the Senior Finance and Administrative Officer and carries out tasks under the overall authority of the Head of Office of the UNESCO Kabul Office. The position is tasked with delivering a range of finance and administrative activities in support of the administrative unit and project/programme delivery. Administrative Assistant reports directly to the Senior Finance and Administrative Officer and carries out tasks under the overall authority of the Head of Office of the UNESCO Kabul Office. The position is tasked with delivering a range of finance and administrative activities in support of the administrative unit and project/programme delivery.
Within delegated authority, the Finance and Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assist and inform the supervisor on the financial status using management information systems and reporting.
- Code, record, and reconcile accounting transactions.
- Verify and process payments.
- Assist in the monthly bank reconciliation.
- Maintain specific accounts, calculate and compile financial data, and prepare routine reports.
- Generate expenditure reports from the automated systems.
- Provide assistance and guidance to staff on basic financial procedures, payment requirements, and banking and currency provisions.
- Monitor and control commitments and expenditures.
- Prepare detailed cost estimates and other data for budget analysis and proposals.
- Keep track of budget levels and alert the supervisor and concerned managers to avoid potential shortfalls in funds (validating information and identifying any errors or irregularities).
- Generate expenditure reports from automated information system databases; compile budget data.
- Assist in preparing, estimating, and finalizing budget reports; carry out a preliminary analysis of variances between budgets and actual expenditures; cross-check consistency of figures.
- Review overall accuracy and consistency of draft reports; cross-check consistency of figures.
- Identify any other anomalies, alert the supervisor, and undertake transactions to correct errors/omissions.
- Act as a certifying officer up to the authorized level delegated by the CFO.
- Draft and prepare routine correspondence, memoranda, and non-substantive reports.
- Maintain confidential and general files and establish reference systems.
- Assist in the preparation of budgetary and financial reports, statistics, or projections for managers’ use.
- Review draft reports, verify overall accuracy and consistency, and cross-check consistency of figures.
- Provide guidance and interpretation on non-complex administrative rules, regulations, and procedures.
Additional tasks may be required to ensure the success of the work team.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial):
Completion of a first-year degree in finance, accounting, or related is required. Additional technical training in accounting/finance (CPA, ACCA, etc.), administration/statistics, or directly related fields are required.
A minimum of three (3) years experience in finance, administration, or related area.
Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
- Experience in international organizations or United Nations agencies.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, strong service orientation, and ability to deal efficiently with partners at different levels.
- Experience with an Enterprise Resource Planning system (ERP).
- Ability to analyze, interpret financial data, and monitor budgets.
- Ability to work as part of a team and provide quality and timely support and capacity to work efficiently under pressure.
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and database packages.
- Knowledge of local languages (Dari, Pashto).
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS:
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.