Job ID 120456
Degree High School Diploma
Province or State Kabul
Vacancy Number VA/2023/B5101/26970
UNOPS – an operational arm of the United Nations – supports the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by successfully implementing its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian, and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve peace and sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management, and human resources.
Working with us
We are proud of our people. With a wealth of knowledge and skills in various disciplines – engineering, finance, human resources, ICT, leadership, project management, procurement, and more – they help tackle some of the biggest challenges of our time. Their work around the world supports progress toward the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
At UNOPS, we offer a range of short- and long-term opportunities in various environments and duty stations – from Denmark and Kenya to Mexico, Switzerland, Myanmar, Senegal, Uganda, and many more.
With over 5,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,400 personnel recruited on behalf of our partners, spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced and diverse labor force — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs. We continually strive to maintain our gender-balanced workplace. We encourage qualified underrepresented groups as per UNOPS Gender, Diversity, and Inclusion Strategy to apply for our vacancies.
With more than 20 years of experience in the country, UNOPS Afghanistan focuses on providing maximum support to the people of Afghanistan through the delivery of projects and services that improve the lives of people in need. The UNOPS Afghanistan Country Office (AFCO) serves as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been designated as the implementation agency. At present, UNOPS AFCO activities cover a range of sectors including humanitarian, basic human needs, cash for work, infrastructure, development, procurement and HR services.
The functional objective of UNOPS AFCO is to contribute to improving the lives of girls, boys, men and women living in Afghanistan. The aim of UNOPS AFCO is to provide efficient and cost-effective implementation services on behalf of all our partners to support the humanitarian response and development of the country. UNOPS AFCO’s mission is to exceed the expectations of all stakeholders in the delivery of AFCO services, at all times, in all places, in all circumstances, in order to improve the lives of Afghans in need.
Under the direct supervision of the HR Manager and the overall direction of the Head of Support Services as well as the technical guidance of IPAS HR, the HR Senior Assistant is responsible for providing technical and administrative support to the timely processing, recording, completion, monitoring, and maintaining of transactions and processes covering the array of Human Resources Management service lines in accordance with UNOPS’ HR rules, regulations and policies for optimal employee and talent management. S/he may serve as the first contact for internal and external clients in resolving questions on routine and standard processes and procedures and provision of guidance and information related to HR initiatives and services to a wide range of UNOPS clients.
Summary of Key Functions
- Support to policy development and implementation
- Advisory Services
- Talent Acquisition and Administration
- Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
1. Support to policy development and implementation
- Contribute to HR policy development and corporate HR initiatives by assisting to collect data on trends, risks and opportunities and sharing local HR best practices.
- Assist with projects in support of HR initiatives for attainment of business objectives in line with the corporate HR strategy.
2. Advisory Services
- Provide advice and guidance to personnel on administrative procedures, processes and practices for delivery of HR services.
- Act as liaison between unit and internal and external clients and provides proactive customer service to expedite completion of projects, and provide information.
- As an interlocutor of HR, ensure that new hires’ first impressions are positive and that they have all in-processing information completed.
- Advise hiring management and guide personnel on routine elements of UNOPS recruitment and performance management processes, and learning and development initiatives, resources, and plans.
3. Talent Acquisition and Administration
- Support the completion of recruitment processes including offers and rejections, and updating recruitment on-line information system in line with UNOPS policy.
- Undertakes reference checking, elements of longlisting, and organization of testing and interviews; fee calculation, minutes of general-service recruitments,
- Finalizes selection and other process approvals.
- Inform and advise UNOPS personnel, consultants, partners and project personnel on routine aspects and elements of their conditions of service and entitlements according to their contract modality, expediting actions to facilitate their efficient, timely, and client-focused onboarding.
- Research precedents and present recommendations to supervisor, taking into account institutionalized exceptions. Undertake research on a range of HR related issues and assist in the preparation of notes/reports.
- Maintain monitoring systems, advising the supervisor on the status of pending requests and approaching deadlines.
- Answer questions and follow-up with personnel and management to ensure completion of absences requests, performance management cycle, and other HR processes etc. in electronic information systems.
- Liaise with relevant HQ and UN system units to exchange information and follow up on pending issues.
- Set up and maintain reference files/records.
- Follow up or process payroll verification.
- Monitor status of HR actions to facilitate timely action by supervisor and line management, including on transactions initiated, expiring appointments/contracts, and pending separation actions.
- Manage record maintenance; including personnel file systems as well as provision of related statistical summaries and tracking movements of UNOPS personnel within the relevant business unit/s.
4. Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provide support to the organization, facilitation and/or delivery of training and learning initiatives for personnel on HR-related topics.
- Provides sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources.
- Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
- Completion of Secondary education is required. First University Degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent disciplines is desirable.
- Knowledge of UN policies, procedures and practices highly desirable
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in an international and/or national organization in providing HR advisory, recruitment, and/or HR-generalist services.
- Some experience in UN system organizations is desirable
- Proficiency in computers and office software packages (MS Office) and experience in handling of web-based management systems is required.
- Experience in use of HR information systems, Enterprise systems including OneUNOPS is desirable.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.