Job ID 120951
Experience 3 Years
Degree High School Diploma
Opportunity Type Jobs
Province or State Kabul
Language Requirement Pashto ,Dari &English)
Duration Six Months (with possibility of extension, subject to availability of fund
Vacancy Number VA/ICMP/2023/11/007
About United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC):
United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) within the framework of Country Programme for Afghanistan and through its project on “Illicit Crop Monitoring (AFGF98)” has been implementing the annual Afghanistan opium survey that provides its national and international stakeholders information on opium cultivation, production, poppy eradication verification and drugs prices in Afghanistan. The AFGF98 Project also serves as a primary pillar of the Country Office for Afghanistan for undertaking technical studies, research and surveys into under-researched areas concerning narcotics, associated organized crime, drug-use related health problems and socio-economic factors.
Under the overall guidance of the UNODC Representative and direct supervision of the Social Affairs Officer and the guidance and close collaboration with the Research Unit, the National Programme Assistant will provide support to administrative services ensuring high quality of work, ensures accurate, timely and properly recorded/documented service delivery. The National Programme Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The National Programme Assistant will work in close collaboration with the Research Unit and project staff in the CO and other UN agencies to ensure consistent service delivery.
- Assist in planning and maintaining a record of actual expenditures and in carrying out financial controls of the programme including monitoring of expenditures against budget allocations, towards preparation of financial reports;
- Work closely with administration in the preparation of budget and other planning documents, and on programme budget revisions;
- Assist in project planning coordination and implementation including coordination and preparation of administrative matters relating to the organization of meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences, including securing and arranging meeting venues, arranging participants’ travel, and other administrative arrangement;
- Make travel arrangements for the Project staff and other units, UN agencies, ministries, non-governmental organizations and constituents as well as process their Daily Substance Allowances (DSAs);
- Organize both incoming and outgoing correspondence, including the establishment of a log/registry system and filing; manage correspondence for priority action, notification of deadlines and action on routine matters; arrange and maintain a calendar of appointments and prepare travel plans for missions.
- Maintain an inventory of programme equipment, including that handed over to counterparts through the project;
- Work together with procurement section to undertake administrative action related to the procurement including preparation of purchase orders, related payment requests, and monitoring and follow-up on such requests using UMOJA system;
- Assist in drafting and finalizing correspondence; timely preparation of relevant papers and documents for meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences; and finalize related reports, involving communication with UNODC counterparts.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNODC;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Knowledge of, and ability to apply financial rules, regulations and procedures in the UN environment. Ability to maintain accurate records, review and interpret a wide variety of data. Ability to identify and resolve data discrepancies and operational problems. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Managing performance: Ability to plan own work, manage conflicting priorities and to use time efficiently; ability to organize and implement activities and outputs; ability to monitor progress against milestones and deadlines.
- High school graduate or bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Social Sciences, Economics, Agricultural Science, Medical Science, Computer Science or other related discipline;
- People having bachelor’s degree will be highly preferred.
- With high School Certificate 5 years and with Bachelor’s degree 3 years of work experience in Programme/Project management, administration, or related fields;
- Work experience with non-governmental and civil society organizations is an asset;
- Relevant work experience with UNODC or UN is an advantage.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and excellent knowledge of Afghanistan’s official languages (Pashto or Dari) are required.