Job ID 116785
Experience 2 Years
Degree Bachelor Degree
Province or State Kabul
Vacancy Number 827491
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
The hunger crisis in Afghanistan is unfolding at a rapidly, with over half the country’s population of 15 million now facing acute food insecurity—the highest number the humanitarian community has ever seen in Afghanistan. Work opportunities are shrinking, with most households now reporting just one day of work per week. This comes on top of the worst drought in years, which is especially concerning for the 85 percent of the population who rely on agriculture for livelihoods.
Preventing and mitigating a drastic increase in hunger and malnutrition is the aim of WFP in Afghanistan which can only be achieved through the scaled up and sustained complementary food security and nutrition interventions, combined with a scale-up of resilience interventions to safeguard gains. WFP has embarked on a significant month on month scale-up of its crisis response and resilience programmes across the country, ensuring that the programme is delivered at the right scale and time, targeted to the right areas. WFP is also actively following up on evolving trends to pre-empt hotspots, while guaranteeing quality and maximum impact of the programme through the monitoring of these hotspots to be able to support continued donor advocacy.
Support WFP nutrition efforts at regional and provincial levels to contribute to meeting the nutritional needs of beneficiaries within Afghanistan. This will be achieved through effective and timely facilitation of the management of Field Level Agreements (FLAs) and amendments as may be necessary; enhance quality of malnutrition prevention and treatment services delivery, including proper supervision, monitoring, coordination, and capacity building of internal WFP field offices and relevant cooperating partners, well-organized, complete and accurate reports, records and/or data; and effective nutrition unit business process performance.
• Provide technical and programmatic support in designing and implementation of nutrition activities at field office level to ensure the targets are achieved in alignment with relevant WFP and Government policies/strategies/guidelines/procedures;
• Actively contribute and take lead for development of nutrition the component of implementation plan (IP) for the relevant field office (in consultation with CO-nutrition).
• In consultation with Head of field office and CO nutrition unit, develop comprehensive a nutrition work plan as well as corresponding monitoring ,supervision and CP performance evaluation plan for the field office in line with the CO Nutrition programme quality improvement plan.
• Take responsibility for incorporating and mainstreaming nutrition sensitive components in all WFP activities as appropriate.
• Identify the evolving nutrition needs at field level based using evidence from routine monitoring and assessment findings and ensure these are used to inform programming through the Head of Field Office and CO nutrition.
• Ensure that all nutrition project proposals submitted to the Field Office Project Technical Review Committee (PTRC) have gone through an effective and efficient review process in consultation with CO nutrition unit and timely submitted for CO-PAC.
• Support the preparation of projects and FLAs/amendments involving nutrition specific and nutrition sensitive activities ensuring all key actions the related to programme quality are included, monitored and integrated into the WFP corporate reporting systems in timely manner.
• Contribute to the timely provision of inputs to nutrition unit in CO for donor proposal development in coordination with the field team and relevant CPs.
• Support the management of strategic partnership collaborations for Nutrition at field level to ensure effective implementation of joint programs; This includes collaborations with UN agencies, national & international NGOs, government key counterparts and communities;
• Support supply chain management of nutrition commodities, to monitor stock levels with the aim of minimizing activity interruptions related to avoidable stockouts at FDP level.
• Conduct review and coordination meetings with nutrition cooperating partners to identify implementation issues and opportunities for programme performance improvement.
• Represent WFP in the sub-national cluster coordination platform and any other relevant platform to keep provincial authorities and partners updated about WFP support while also obtaining information to guide WFP engagement with the various stakeholders.
• Liaise internally with relevant units to support effective collaboration, implementation and monitoring of nutrition activities.
• Take lead in strengthening the capacity of relevant CP staff and PAT monitors, to implement and monitor nutrition activities in line with the relevant protocols and quality improvement plan.
• Ensure timely consolidation/submission of periodic or ad-hoc reports on the progress of nutrition activities, with timely and accurate entry of relevant reports into National Nutrition Database.
• Provide the required inputs to nutrition unit for routine reports, and any other report as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- University degree in Public Health Nutrition, Nutrition, Food Technology, Medicine or other relevant field.
- At least one (1) year of postgraduate professional experience in planning, designing and implementation of nutrition, public health programs with government, national or international NGOs?
- Experience conducting nutritional assessments, nutrition data analysis and report writing would be an added advantage.
- Experience working in both emergencies and development contexts.
- Has gained experience in implementing technical programs (i.e. nutrition, etc.).
- Has implemented programmes and provided input into designing operations.
- Has provided input into policy discussions and decisions.
- Good oral and written languages skills in English, Dari and Pashto.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered, interested candidates are invited to apply via (https://www.wfp.org/careers/job-openings).
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We want to ensure the recruitment process is fully accessible. Please contact us at email@example.com to advise us of any accessibility needs you may have.
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment.