Job ID 120989
Degree Bachelor Degree
Opportunity Type Jobs
Province or State Kabul
Language Requirement English
Duration 1 Year
Vacancy Number 830284
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. .
In response to unprecedented levels of hunger and vulnerability, WFP has scaled-up humanitarian operations with emergency food, nutrition, and livelihoods support. To this effect, WFP continues with its cash-based transfers (CBT) to respond the humanitarian needs in 2022. As of November, WFP disbursed USD 270 million to assist over 6.5 million beneficiaries with cash and vouchers with a monthly average of 4 million. The direct cash and value voucher modalities are complemented by commodity voucher assistance.
To ensure CBT programming quality, alignment with the corporate policy/guidance and adequate engagement with stakeholders, WFP Afghanistan is seeking a highly experienced professional to lead the CBT Team.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the supervision of the Head of Programme, the incumbent shall undertake the following tasks:
- Play a significant role in development and implementation of the CSP, in particular for CBT programme, and ensure its alignment with the country strategy and the UN strategic framework.
- Provide advice and support to the Area Offices and clarify ambiguities and ensure that CBT policy and programme operations are consistent with WFP policies, and other relevant guidance.
- Develop functional training in areas of expertise to enhance CBT related capacity of WFP staff and cooperating partners to design and deliver effective food assistance programmes.
- Develop productive relationships with partners and donors at a national level to enable the effective positioning of WFP’s CBT programme and maintain established strategic partnerships to identify opportunities for collaborative approaches and initiatives that improve assistance packages and support advocacy work for resources of the CBT portfolio.
- Manage or oversee operational research and evidence building on issues related to CBT and manage the preparation and dissemination of timely analytical and critical reports, publications, and a variety of information products or proposals for internal or external use.
- Support the Head of Programme in planning and implementation of CBT CO work plan including the implementation and evaluation of audit and compliance recommendations.
- Hold accountability for the effective management of all CBT operations and resources within the country and provide effective leadership, to ensure the continued development of a cohesive and highly performing CBT team.
- Perform other duties as required
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum 8 years of relevant progressively responsible experience in programmes is required.
- Has managed CBT programmes and operations in emergency contexts with significant levels of complexity.
- Has gained management/ supervisory experience in directing small or medium teams in field postings.
- Has experience in delivery of a CBT emergency-oriented operation, preferably in a hardship duty station.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural team and establish an effective working relationship with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Experience in managing WFP cash and social protection programmes and operations in emergency and or developmental contexts.
- Has supported the development of complex aspects of Country strategy, Division Strategy and/or Operations planning
- Advanced University degree in Economics, International Development or Social Sciences or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Knowledge of WFP’s CBT procedures in setting up cash and voucher operations. Experience in WFP’s FSP contracting is desirable.
- Experience in working with governments on cash-based transfer modalities of assistance and/or in government social safety net programmes is an added advantage.
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and a second UN language.