Job ID 120785
Experience 2 Years
Opportunity Type Jobs
Province or State Kabul
Language Requirement Dari, Pashto & English
Field of Study MBA
Duration 2 Years
Vacancy Number 14608
iversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience, and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in 170 countries and territories, working with governments and people on their own solutions to global and national development challenges to help empower lives and build resilient nations.
As a trusted, long-term partner of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (Global Fund, GF), UNDP’s value proposition lies in providing an integrated package of development solutions to strengthen institutions to deliver health services. Through its contributions as interim Principal Recipient and provider of technical assistance in over 53 countries since 2003, UNDP’s provision of integrated policy, implementation and capacity development support to countries has yielded significant health and development results in challenging operating environments. Proactive risk management and investing in sustainability are the cornerstones of UNDP’s portfolio management approach and providing technical assistance to national counterparts during all phases of implementation, strengthening legislation, policies, and regulatory frameworks, and building capacities across key functional areas, including financial management, health information systems, procurement and supply chain management. Within the HHD Group, the Global Fund Partnership and Health Systems (GFP-HST) is a dedicated team providing support to UNDP Country Offices implementing health and development programmes.
In Afghanistan, UNDP is the interim Principal Recipient (PR) for the three diseases. For effective implementation of the Global Fund resources, UNDP Afghanistan has established a Program Management Unit (PMU), which is responsible for the day-to-day overall programme management, risk management, policy guidance, financial accountability, procurement of goods, including health products and services, strengthening of the national pharmaceutical and laboratory supply chain systems. The GF resources are implemented in accordance with UNDP rules, policies and procedures, the grant confirmation, corporate agreements with the GF and in close coordination with the national partners, including NGOs, CSOs, communities, technical partners and UN entities, and the Local Fund Agent.
The HIV Analyst works in close collaboration with the sub-recipients (SRs) of the Global Fund project, the operations and project teams in the PMU in ensuring successful implementation and oversight of GF activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
The HIV Project Analyst reports directly to the Project Coordinator.
Ensures implementation of programme strategies, including supply of essential health commodities focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Coordinate the implementation of Global Fund HIV component for the achievement of programme targets in accordance with UNDP rules, policies and procedures.
- Develop work plan and budgets with sub-recipients (SRs), technical partners and other stakeholders to ensure compliance and execution in line with the National HIV response strategies.
- Monitor HIV budget.
Ensures effective management of the Global Fund HIV programme focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Ensure operational management of the programme – plan, initiate and manage project activities, in accordance with UNDP rules and procedures.
- Design and formulation of PMU programme within the area of responsibility.
- Coordinate implementation of the HIV Programme with the SRs and other stakeholders to ensure synergies and complementarity of funding.
Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy in the HIV theme area focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintain close co-ordination between the GF programme with other HIV and TB initiatives in the country to ensure and promote continuity, partnership building and avoid duplication of programmatic activities.
- Participate and promote the organization of events, forums etc. on HIV prevention and control in order to fortify the different national structures.
Ensures provision of top-quality policy advisory services on HIV to the Government and National Institutions and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure the provision of robust technical advice to the SRs and support work on programme adjustments as necessary.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organize of trainings for the PMU and UNDP CO on programme issues.
- Support the work of the technical committees and provide advice on Global Fund procedures.
Ensures guidance and capacity building and facilitation of knowledge building and sharing in the PMU focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Provide guidance and capacity building of SRs on issues of HIV and also HIV/TB.
- Develop training plan/curriculum for the SRs, including on financial issues, and conduct trainings on GF performance-based funding and financial reporting requirements management system.
- Synthesize lessons learned and best practices in HIV and also HIV/TB control.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice and monthly programme newsletter.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
2030 Agenda: People
- Health: Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria (GFATM), HIV/AIDS, National Strategic Plan / Policy for health
- Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience. Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
- Working with evidence and data: Ability to inspect, cleanse and transform and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions and supporting decision making
- Partnerships management: Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
Business Direction and Strategy
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities; linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences, Medical & Health, or related field is required, or
- A first-level university degree (bachelor’s degree) in the areas mentioned above in combination with additional 2 years of qualifying experience, will be given due consideration in lieu of Master´s degree.
- Up to 2 years (with Master´s degree) or minimum 2 years (with Bachelor´s degree) of relevant experience at the national or international level in HIV programming and/or policy.
- Understanding and practical experience of issues related to HIV, health and development, and ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations is an asset.
- Prior experience working with international and national organizations (UN agencies, INGOs, NGOs) and government partners is an asset.
- Excellent communication and reporting skills.
- Demonstrated experience in HIV programmes and policies.
- Experience with Global Fund policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience in partnership building or strengthening.
- Prior UNDP experience and familiarity with its policies and procedures, particularly in the applicable job area, is an added advantage.
- Fluency in Dari and/or Pashto, is required.
- Proficiency in English is required.
We invite all interested and qualified national candidates to apply through our online application system. To apply, please follow the link provided below and complete the online application form.
When using the online application system, please ensure that all required fields are completed accurately and in full. You will also be required to upload your updated P11/CV and a cover letter.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.