Job ID 56842
- Gender Both
- Degree High School Diploma
- Province or State Kabul
BACKGROUND INFORMATION – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION – JOB-SPECIFIC
Summary of Key Functions
- Administrative support
- Coordination and reporting
- Knowledge management
1. Administrative support
- Provide administrative support in the regular organization of the Project Steering Committee/Board meetings and internal project management team meetings.
- Ensure agenda and minutes of meetings are prepared, approved and circulated in a timely manner and that agreed action points are followed up on.
- Provide administrative and substantive support in organizing quarterly donor coordination sessions, including the documentation to update donors on the Project’s overall progress, funding needs, challenges, etc.
- Manage the Head of Project’s field travel calendar and key appointments with external stakeholders.
- Perform any other responsibilities or activities that may be reasonably required by the Senior Project Manager.
2. Coordination and reporting
- Ensure that weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual updates of the project against key milestones are prepared in a timely manner, highlighting areas needing improvement.
- Coordinate and follow up with the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer in preparing the quarterly report sections related to key achievements, coordination with stakeholders, implementation schedule and key challenges, before final approval by the Senior Project Manager.
- Coordinate with and support the Communications Officer in preparing for key events and media related workshops, press conferences, etc. involving UNOPS management team and others.
- Support the Senior Project Manager in following up on donor Implementation Support Mission (ISM) action point updates and in preparing presentations for key events, including donor missions.
3. Knowledge management
- Assist with logistics support and organization of webinars, training and learning initiatives on project related topics (including the technical set-up of such events).
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices.
Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Project Management Support – Senior Assistant directly impacts on the performance of the project, in particular through ensuring smooth and effective implementation. It confirms UNOPS’ role as a key and trusted partner to the World Bank, and UNOPS’ position as a critical service provider, in all challenging work environments. Given the current political and humanitarian situation in Afghanistan, this project would support the urgent repositioning of AFCO and strengthen UNOPS presence and visibility in Afghanistan, raising the profile of UNOPS in the global humanitarian context.
Monitoring and progress controls will be in accordance with work plans that the Supervisor and incumbent will prepare at the beginning of the assignment.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- A first-level university degree (e.g. Bachelor) in Business Administration, Management, Project Management, or other Social/Behavioral Science is considered an asset and may be considered as a substitute for 4 years of work experience.
b. Work Experience
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience related to project support for candidates with a High School Diploma, or
- A minimum of 1 year of experience related to project support for candidates with a Bachelor degree.
- Experience working with national and international organizations that are contributing to the reconstruction and development of Afghanistan is a significant advantage.
- Knowledge of UNOPS’ project management tools is an asset.
- Fluency (oral and written) in English is required.
- Pashto and Dari languages are desired.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
CONTRACT TYPE, LEVEL AND DURATION
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement Contract level: ICS-6 / LICA-5
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.