Job ID 119600
Experience 3 Years
Degree High School Diploma
Province or State Kabul
Vacancy Number 0023/2023
Research Translator Job at BBC MEDIA ACTION for High School Graduates:
About BBC MEDIA ACTION:
About BBC MEDIA ACTION:
BBC Media Action is the independent international charity of the BBC which uses media and effective communication to change people’s lives for the better.
BBC Media Action delivers a portfolio of SBCC [Social and Behaviour Change Communication] oriented humanitarian and development projects in Afghanistan.
BBC Media Action Afghanistan is delivering projects on empowering local media, journalists and aid workers learn how to undertake effective communications to reach and engage with local communities.
Job Description Research Translator Job at BBC MEDIA ACTION for High School Graduates:
Overall Purpose of the Job
Reporting to Research Manager, the Research Translator will be part of a the Research team. She/he will play a key role in translation of research documents and reports as well conducting interviews, focus group discussions and surveys.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Transcribe and translate research documents, scripts, reports, programme logs, including any recording of focus group discussions, audience feedback forms, questionnaires and any other documents from Dari to English and vice versa.
- Simultaneous/consecutive translation of any meetings/proceedings both ways when required.
- Conduct focus group discussions, interviews and surveys when required.
- Write summary reports from focus group discussions and interviews.
- Perform other duties as requested by line manager.
Job Requirements Research Translator Job at BBC MEDIA ACTION for High School Graduates:
Skills, knowledge and experience requirements:
- At least high school-level graduate in any discipline, or equivalent level of experience
- Very good idiomatic English
- Fluent in Dari with an appreciation of regional dialects and idioms
- Ability to translate from Dari to English and vice versa with accuracy and speed
- Good typing speed in both Dari and English
- Evidence of strong communication and reporting skills, both written and verbal.
- Experienced in building strong working relationships within an office-based team and working with external partners.
- Experience in using all Microsoft Office package.
- Evidence of the ability to deal with multiple tasks at a time and prioritise.
- Fluency in one of the local languages and a good working knowledge of the other. Good working knowledge of English.
- Understanding of workplace Health and Safety issues Capacity.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Planning and organisation – able to think ahead in order to establish and efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
- Influencing and persuading – able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Communication – able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Managing relationships and team working – able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Resilience – manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Flexibility – adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
- Creative Thinking – able to transform creative ideas into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Analytical thinking – Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships and construct frameworks for problem-solving and/or development.
Please remember to mention the position title and vacancy # at the subject line of your emails.