Job ID 119707
Experience 5 Years
Degree Master’s Degree
Province or State Kabul
Vacancy Number WHOAFG- 2023-09-58
Senior Technical Officer Job at World Health Organization:
About World Health Organization
The World Health Organization (WHO) is the technical and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership in global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical and implementation support and monitoring and assessing health trends. In Afghanistan, WHO works to improve the health and well-being of all Afghans by preventing and reducing mortality, morbidity and disability and strengthening health services in close coordination with national and international partners.
Job Summary Senior Technical Officer Job at World Health Organization:
The purpose of the post is to provide technical support to overall national diseases surveillance and response system (NDSR) activities at the MoPH and ensure quality program implementation related to the timely detection, confirmation, reporting and reponse to the outbreaks of priority infectious diseases.
Objectives of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objective (Overview of the programme):
The National Disease Surveillance and Response (NDSR) in Afghanistan is composed of two components, indicator-based surveillance (IBS) and event-based surveillance (EBS). The IBS reports overall 17 priority infectious diseases from 613 sentinel sites, covering 99% of all districts. The concept of EBS has been introduced to support the early warning function of the surveillance system however not fully implemented. In Afghanistan, diseases such as measles, Crimean Congo hemorrhagic fever (CCHF), dog bite/suspected rabies, leishmaniosis, malaria, poliomyelitis, and others are endemic. Besides the endemic diseases, outbreaks of anthrax, brucellosis, cholera, probable diphtheria, suspected pertussis, acute gastroenteritis, acute viral hepatitis (A&E), Q fever, shigellosis, pneumonia, food poisoning, scabies, mumps, varicella, and most recently dengue fever and coronavirus disease (COVID-19) have been reported in the last years.
Currently, Afghanistan encounters high-level population displacement, drought, natural disasters, food insecurity and malnutrition. The aftermath of the long-term conflict and violence along with the abovementioned issues further increases the burden of communicable diseases. For complete, timely, accurate, and proper detection, reporting and response, the current NDSR system should be strengthened at national and provincial levels by ensuring proper technical support in place.
Organizational context (Describe the individual role of incumbent within the team, focusing on the intricacy and difficulty of working environment):
The incumbent will work under the close supervision National Diseases Surveillance and Response (NDSR) System within Monitoring & Evaluation and Health Information System General Directorate and IHP team lead in WHO country office, providing technical support to the core and supportive functions of NDSRs at national and sub-national levels.
Duties & Responsibilities Senior Technical Officer Job at World Health Organization:
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Technical support to proper functioning of NDSR System in term of timely reporting, detection of outbreaks and immediate response to communicable diseases in collaboration with World Health Organizations (WHO).
2. Review, edit and ensure dissemination of regular reports including daily outbreaks follow up reports, weekly NDSR reports, activity reports and annual reports.
3. Update network of stakeholders, development partners and donors on disease trends and outbreaks through weekly reports and periodic presentations.
4. Provide reports/presentations, technical information and inputs on priority diseases under NDSR including influenza and outbreaks to the authorities as requested.
5. Provide technical advice and assistance for large or mysterious outbreaks at national level.
6. Technical support to the IHR national focal point in smooth implementation of IHR related activities, especially in PHEIC detection, notification in the national level, and timely notifying WHO in case of any potential PHEIC.
7. Contribute in designing study protocols and conduct research studies whenever required to answer a question or find out a solution to a problem.
8. Technical support to expand and maintain NDSR sentinel sites in public/private sectors in national level.
9. Technical support to the integration of surveillance systems under the IDSR approach, including AFP Surveillance.
10. Develop proposals and reports to the authorities and funding resources.
11. Technical support to the preparation of NDSR plans in the national level.
12. Participate in different meetings, forums and conferences inside and outside of the country related to surveillance.
13. Technical support to ensure proper M&E system is in place, and activities are based on annual and operation plan.
14. Technical support to plan and implement training on epidemiology, biostatistics, communicable diseases, outbreak investigation and surveillance for the NDSR staff.
15. Technical support to relevant departments for ensuring a responsive laboratory system for NDSR.
16. Any other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Job Requirements Senior Technical Officer Job at World Health Organization:
1) Producing results
2) Fostering Integration and Teamwork
3) Communicating in a credible and effective way
4) Moving forward in a changing environment.
5) Effective use of resources
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
Proper knowledge of infectious diseases surveillance and response systems (NDSR) is required
Essential: Master of public health
Essential: Having at least 5 years experiences in diseases surveillance and outbreak reponse.
Desirable: Relevant experience in working with National Diseases Surveillance and Response System (NDSR) at MoPH
Languages: Very good knowledge of English and the local language.
– Good knowledge of Microsoft applications.
– Experience of using Epi Info, SPSS is preferred
Screening of the candidates:
Long List – The candidates shall be longlisted based on the minimum qualifications and relevant experience to the Vacancy Notice (VN).
Short List – Further shortlist shall be done based on years of relevant experience, higher education and required skills.
WHO may conduct written/presentation and interview or combination of the mentioned mediums to select the most qualified candidate.
WHO is an equal opportunity employer and qualiﬁed women are particularly encouraged to apply and equally qualiﬁed female candidate will be given preference.
Interested applicants (Afghan National) meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit their applications quoting this Vacancy Announcement Number (WHOAFG- 2023-09-58) along with their curriculum vitae, copy of National ID (Tazkira) to below mentioned email:
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. ONLY CANDIDATES UNDER SERIOUS CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED FOR INTERVIEW AND TEST.
WHO is a smoke free environment.